Saturday 17 May 2014

Facebook versus Blogging

When we launched the new patchwork patterned homewares, I had to finally give in and do the Facebook thing.  I've always loved blogging, but up til that point, the joys of other social media had been avoided like the plague escaped me.

www.cathydaniel.co.uk
But in the few short weeks that we've had a Facebook Page, I can honestly say that it has been a revelation.  Yes, it's a necessary 'marketing tool' (hate that phrase!) for any business, but it's more than that - I love the sound-bite quality of Facebook, the quickness and the quirkiness, the ability just to let someone know you've seen and liked something even if you haven't got time to write a comment.

Online interview on Homemaker's blog

So, I post newsy bits on FB every few days, which don't ever find their way into blogland, like the above interview for Homemaker Magazine's blog, and the nice piece in Popular Patchwork, and the news that my pottery is now in the wonderful Quilt Museum shop in York, and lots of other random little updates.


But, conversely, I love being able to write thoughtfully and in depth about something, which is, for me, what a blog is all about. 
Except, sometimes, well, I just think I want to share the little bits with all of you too, so hence this random round-up of recent news!

Come see us at the Springfields Quilt Show 30-31st May

So, our latest Facebook post is that we will be at the Springfields Quilt Show in Spalding, Lincolnshire, on 30th and 31st May with the quilty homewares and lots of tiny ceramic giveaways, so if you're going, please stop by and say hello.  As you can see, I made our sign myself in the same patterns as our homewares products.  We thought about getting one done professionally, but I quite like my version!

Made from the artwork for our 'Summer Winds' design - resourceful or what?

Hope you've enjoyed the sunshine today - it's been glorious, hasn't it!  Now, for a good old catch-up with you all - sorry not to have visited lately!!

x Cathy

14 comments:

  1. I'm not a facebooker, but I do enjoy reading your posts. I hope that you have fun at the show! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you popped by to my facebook page I thought I'd come nose at your blog... Your sign is professionally done! If I did one I could guarantee it wouldn't come looking that perfect! Definitely one to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I'm sure your designs will sell really well in the quilt museum. I used to volunteer there, the shop was always Really Busy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. It strikes me that your sign IS 'Professional' I hope the show goes well xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sign is great.Good to hear all is going well for you,very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. FB seems the way to go at the moment. How exciting all these things happening with your quilty loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never dipped my toe in to the Facebook or Twitter thing, but I think it's definitely necessary for businesses these days. I keep saying that I'll have to visit the Quilt Museum in York, I will get round to it one of these days and then I'll be able to see your beautiful creations in person. Good luck at the quilt show, and I love the sign.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share your f/b feelings Cathy. Kinda hate it but I know it helps people find my blog. I find it very complex to use though!!? It almost seems able to do too much somehow! Love your sign-so clever! X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean Cathy, sometimes you want to leave a comment on a blog but have just popped in for a couple of minutes and really don't have the time or can't think of any thing to say. So much easier to just like something when your in a hurry. I only joined facebook to keep up with my children while they travelled the world and now I'm hooked.

    Gillx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great advenure all this social media - glad to know it turned out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the sunshine lifts your spirits. I've wondered about dipping my toe into Twitter for book thoughts and recommendations but I really shouldn't spend anymore time in front of a screen than I do already!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm amazed that you balance it all! You must be one busy lady. Congratulations on the mentions/interviews in the magazines. That's wonderful! I hope that the quilt show has a great turn out. I really wish that I could come-how fun would that be?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Facebook for the "instant" effect. Still don't get Twitter though!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sign you can practice and make me one! Hee hee! You are very professional and talented! I'll like you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, and I always try to visit your blog in return. If you enjoyed your visit, there's more on our Facebook Page. Click on the tab just below the header picture to whiz over there!